Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Sunday School

Some memories of the Crabtree family

A letter written by Alice Gregory:

I agree that the most important thing is a relationship with Jesus. More than to "gain the whole world".

I remember back when it was too far to go to church in town for most of us. It was even an effort to chuga-chug to our schoolhouse where we had a Sunday school. Neighbors of different denominations would meet. There was some sort of Sunday School association. A representative would come out and get us started and there were printed Sunday School lessons. I remember a few times Ethel and I walked when our parents didn't go. But usually we all went.

Harvey would drive Aunt Minnie, Albert and Kenneth to Sunday School sometimes. One time I really embarrassed myself. My daddy had given me some money for offering and Harvey came around taking up offering and I thought he was giving me some to put in the offering so I shook my head. And just as I did that I saw that he was passing the plate on around and I caught on.!!!!!!! And felt like going through the floor. I am sure no one noticed poor little 6-year-old me but I thought everyone was laughing at me!!!!!

Another memory: The young people were planning to go skating on the pond (at a neighbor's place) after Sunday School. I remember Kenneth begging Aunt Minnie to let him go. I guess he was a little young (he was younger than I) for it but he really begged. But she didn't give in. I don't remember if the older boys went but if they did they must have taken Aunt Minnie home first. Maybe after that they went and maybe, I hope, Kenneth got to go after all.

I never had a chance to learn to skate even though we had a little pond near our house. Our Daddy was afraid we would break our legs. Even though our mamma had told us about when she was young they all went skating. Skates then were clamped onto whatever shoes you were wearing. No shoe skates that I ever saw. And then there were the horror stories of the ice breaking through!! Well anyhow that was a part of life when your daddy was a kid. Besides people didn't much approve of skating on Sunday.

Another picture of Sunday School. Ethel and I were on the program to sing a little song. And the program was written on the board and I remember Kenneth's grin when he saw the list. He said "Oh I was afraid it was going to say Crabtree Boys. "

No one will ever ever forget Kenneth's grin. It was famous. And so funny--He could make us all laugh and giggle. Just with that grin. At the most inconvenient times.

Too bad Hollywood didn't come around, out in the back country looking for talent.!!!!!!

I can remember my daddy getting so tickled over it

It wasn't until about teen age years when I first heard him called "KC".

And Albert called "Shorty".

Yes the Crabtree boys had some early experience in Sunday School.

Although there would be some years that it would die out and then someone would get it going again.

It wasn't until Almeda was ready for high school that they moved to town. And the boys were farming the place by then.

Then I think that your parents went to the Friends church at South Fork district when they were on the farm. By then there were cars with overdrives so the miles weren't so long or the hills so steep.

Love, Alice

1 comment:

  1. I loved this message from Mamma. I don’t know how many people know this, but my oldest son is named after this cousin of hers, Kenneth Crabtree. I never knew him – can’t remember ever meeting him. I just remember Mamma talking about K.C. Crabtree. I pondered for months trying to come up with the perfect name for my firstborn son. I wanted to name him after family, so after thinking and thinking, I fell in love with the name Casey (K.C.).

    After reading this letter Mamma wrote, I wish so much that I could remember Kenneth Crabtree. All I can remember is her talking about him. Anyway, I really wish that K.C. Crabtree could meet my Casey. I think they would have really liked each other.

    ReplyDelete

Write your comment, then add your name by clicking on "Name/URL" and entering your name.

You can add the URL address of your website if you wish, or it can be left blank.

Verify that you are a real person (instead of an automatic spammer) by entering the word verification characters.

Then Preview your comments, if you wish.

Click on "Publish your Comment" to submit it.

Go to TOP

Haiglerites 90+

Haiglerites 70+

Haiglerites 1 - 69 (Some of these have moved past the 70 mark!)

  • Aaron Irwin - May 7th
  • Bernice (Smith) Douglass - February 15
  • CD Samler - January 19
  • Cal Freehling - November 29
  • Claudine (Wiley) Sterner - June 8, 1940
  • Dan Leinen - September 10
  • Dick Gregory - May 29, 1946
  • Elaine (Adams) Corkle - July 29
  • Eunice (Gregory) Richard - December 14, 1951
  • George Sharp - March 27
  • Glenda Smith - December 31
  • Janice Irwin - December 27th
  • Jerry R. Sampson - August 17
  • Joanie Henderson - January 2
  • Joann (Adams) Webster - March 5
  • Joie Brown - December 4
  • Joyce (Tucker) Lovenburg - Sep. 17
  • Karen (White) Lindell - June 13, 1946
  • Karen Harford - May 20
  • LaVern Smith - January 12
  • LaVeta (Smith) Blecha - January 12
  • LeNeta Carlock - May 7
  • LeeAnn Steinbeck January 30
  • Leone (Gregory) Carlson - January 27, 1943
  • Lloyd Douglass - March 18
  • Marlin Crouse - May 7
  • Mel Fisher - August 8, 1946
  • Paul Freehling - May 23
  • Sally Leinen - March 25
  • Sharna Richardson - January 15, 1959
  • Sherri Gregory - January 20, 1945
  • Stanley Carlock - December 12
  • Tim Steinbeck January 31

GOC Observers

  • Alice Gregory
  • Barbara (Dexter) Platon
  • Claudine (Wiley) Sterner
  • Dallas Adams
  • Dick Gregory
  • Don Harford
  • Evoi (Billy) Clark
  • Gail Harford
  • Gladys Freehling
  • Glen Childers
  • Hazel Daniels
  • Karen Harford
  • Leah (Gregory) Brewer
  • Leone (Gregory) Carlson
  • Lillian Mahon
  • Lillie White
  • Linda (Harford) Jones
  • Lloyd Douglass
  • Melba Harford
  • Myrna Oster
  • Posts about GOC
  • Ray Harford
  • Richard Gregory
  • Sam Clegg
  • Sherri Gregory
  • Veda Douglass
  • Virginia Harford

Flying Haiglerites

Haigler Twins

  • Haigler Twins
  • Laurene Rohn & Larry Crabtree
  • Marilyn and Gerrald Logan
  • Gail & Galena Roach
  • Kyle & Kaleb Greenwood
  • Ryan Jean & Lucas Walker Mildenberger
  • LuAnn Green Wall and LuRue Green Krutsinger
  • Edgar and Edna Williams - b. 1895
  • William & Stanley Palmer
  • Frank & Frances Tiff - (Shauer)
  • Fernando & Mahala Trembly - (McBride)
  • Donna and Dennis Workman
  • Marlene and Darlene Workman
  • Rodney and Ronney Workman
  • Rusty and Randy Flamig
  • Robert and Richard Ambrosek
  • Chase & Seth Barron (Grandsons of Delford Trembly)
  • Robert & Delbert Tucker (Alvie's)
  • Ali and Alvie Tucker
  • Albert and Elva Enfield
  • Natalie and Nicole Harford
  • Sharon & Shirley Williams
  • Lloyd and Floyd Smith
  • Jami and Joni Pevler
  • Stella and Zella (Altman) Wall
  • Janice & Julia Relph
  • Pearline and Pauline Freehling
  • Sharon Ruth and Sheila Louise Rose
  • LaVerne & Laveta Smith
  • LaVoine & LaVonne Smith
  • Elois & Elaine Adams
  • Dorothy & Donnie Brown
  • Carolyn and Marilyn Samson
  • Galena & Gail Collicott
  • Grand-daughters of Rae White
  • John "Keefe" and Kiara Grace Schorzman