Friday, May 02, 2008

Notes about the Straub Family

It is always fun to hear from someone who runs across The Haigler Blog when they are searching for family ancestors. Kim from Saskatchewan, Canada is such a person. She contacted me and we have been writing back and forth for a few days. I thought I'd post the notes we've written because some of you will remember the Straubs and some of you might even BE the Straubs!!

My name is Kim from Taber, Alberta, Canada. My gramma came to Saskatchewan with her mother from Haigler, Nebraska. I’m doing family history and I’m having a block. My great gramma was married to a Straub, he passed away we think in Haigler. I don't have her maiden name. My gramma was Rosalie Straub. I’m just new at this family tree thing. I have some ages and deceased dates. I will get back to you with this. Great site by the way. I hope to visit some day to my families’ roots. My family has been there in the late 60's to visit some Rose's and Biers families. Thanks for your time. Keep up the great web site. I hope to one day put some great family history on the site.

Hi Kim,

Great to hear from you!

I will forward your email to other people who may remember your grandmother.

I believe that Rosalie Straub may have been a neighbor of ours in Cheyenne County Kansas which is just south of Dundy County Nebraska. We called her Rosie Straub and her children went to school at East 10 school district where we also went. She lived less than a mile south of the school and raised her children alone as far as I remember. Names that come to mind are Paul and Luella.

Was it your mother or father who was one of her children? My mother is 93 years old and remembers a lot of people from that area and had some of the Straub children in her classroom when she was a teacher. I will ask her.

In the mean time, you might want to focus your search in Cheyenne County Kansas, since they actually lived south of Haigler, Nebraska about 6-10 miles.

Also, if you have not already joined Ancestry.com, you might want to consider it. Their resources have been very helpful in my own family research and are worth the cost.

Talk to you soon. Sherri

Thanks Sherri for your fast response. And all your info and links. I will keep in touch. It was my mother. my gramma was young when she came with her mother to Saskatchewan. I think my great gramma is Augustine. Her husband’s sister is Rose or Rosalie. I think? I'm just getting it all straight. Thanks again. Kim

Hi again Kim,

I thought I remembered that the Straub family was among the German Russian families that arrived in Cheyenne County in the late 1800s, and I did find them on a list compiled by Paul Reeb who researched the immigrant families that settled in Northwest Kansas. Here is a link to that list. http://www.odessa3.org/collections/comps/link/stfran.txt

“The Clearing House” is a very good resource for your research, also. http://www.grhs.com/vr/ch.htm

Good luck. You are embarking on a very addictive project!!

Sherri

Thanks again. I found out my great gramma is Alvina Straub and her husband was August Straub. He died around 1905. My dad visited an old homestead where there were two wooden crosses. My gramma was alive at the time. She thought one was her dad's. My gramma was Rosalie Straub. She was born I think in 1905 and past on in 1985? Approximate. I’m waiting to here back from my aunt, my mom's sister who is going to be 81 on May 8. I’m trying to give her a little history for her birthday. Thank you so much its great your mom is so spry for her age. My mom also told me when she was still alive that my gramma was left handed and in those days, they tied your hand behind your back to make you write right. kinda neat little tid bit.

Thanks for taking the time. Hear from you soon.

Hi Kim,

I got the following letter from my mom today. She is 93 and remembers alot about people around Haigler.

Sherri

====================

This just has to be our Rosie Straub. (the great gramma was "married to a Straub") So --The gramma would be one of Rosie Straub's daughters.

I have a hard time to realize that those little dolls are gramdmas now. I wonder which one.

I remember that Hannah Beeler Zuege and Lottie Beeler Workman were nieces of Jake Straub. Their parents lived in Oklahoma.

Rosie Straub had brother, Harvey Hofer living south of Benkelman, Nebr. He and Alice have 4 boys. Rosie's sister, Amy Hofer Andres, of Haigler, Nebr.

Yes, the Straubs lived about four miles into Kansas. On a Haigler, Nebraska mail route. Like us.

Rosie's family:

The names as I remember are Oscar, Elsie, Ida, Paul, Lucille (?), Bernice, Irene, Harry, Louella. They lived in a small basement house. Rosie kept it clean and neat as could be-- besides all the work she had to do helping with the farm work during her husband Jacob's last years and after his death. That was before I knew them except to know who they were and where they lived. I remember seeing Jake Straub in town.

Rosie sold us what we call the "west pasture". We farmed her land on the quarter by the school house. She was a wonderful woman.

When I taught E-10 school was 1942 after Oscar, Elsie and Ida were through 8th grade. I had Paul, Lucille, Bernice, and Irene in school.

Some details: Oscar worked for us on our farm for one winter and then for Marvin Mills Ranch for several years. Then he worked for the County maintaining roads from then on until he retired. Oscar, Ida, Paul and one other (I think Lucille but am not sure) married Tuckers. Irene married one of the Garners. Elsie married Curtis Miller first, then John Cook. One of Elsie and Curtis's daughters married a Wright (brother of Nadine Workman).

I will write another letter about the Biers and Roses. (Remember that our Irene married Herman Rose) And the Lampes--Louise Bier's family. All related.

Love, Mom (Alice Gregory)

Hello Sherri,

My aunt got back to me. Alvina Phillipine Brady married Samuel August Straub around 1900. My great gramma had 5 girls with Samuel or August. I'm not sure which name he went by.

Here is what i found in the 1910 census . My great gramma, Alvina, and her girls were listed:

Mary-died at infancy, Lydia age 9 -died of the flu before 1914, Amelia (Emily) age 7, Rosa (Rosalie Augustine) age 5.(my grandma), Lizzie age 2 was a half sister with the last name of Foster.

My great granpa died around 1904. My aunt jogged my memory with the story that he had bad teeth (gout) in his gums so he put blue stone on them? - Some home remedy that killed him. That's the info I remember my gramma and mom telling me. My great grandmother re-married a man by the 1st name Foster and had Lizzie. Their marriage was annulled.

My aunt remembers her gramma, Alvina talking about living in Nebraska where they all worked at an orchard? That might have even been another state she's not real sure.

My great gramma Alvina, then came to Saskathewan, Canada in around 1914 and married Phillip Meyer. My gramma and grampa (son of Phillip Meyer) got married, but not sure of the date. I will have to go to my records.

My gramma, Rosalie, went to grade three in the USA. There's a little tid-bit about the Straub's.

Thanks for your mom's info again. They could be cousin's to my gramma, I'm not sure about brother's and sisters of my great grandparent's. That's another page in history!

It's kind of ironic that there is a place near Haigler called Ashton Flats, I read a bit about a ranch in the area. My son's name is Ashton. That is who I'm doing the family history for.

Thanks again for your time, have a great day.
Kim


(edited for privacy and clarity)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment, then add your name by clicking on "Name/URL" and entering your name.

You can add the URL address of your website if you wish, or it can be left blank.

Verify that you are a real person (instead of an automatic spammer) by entering the word verification characters.

Then Preview your comments, if you wish.

Click on "Publish your Comment" to submit it.

Go to TOP

Haiglerites 90+

Haiglerites 70+

Haiglerites 1 - 69 (Some of these have moved past the 70 mark!)

  • Aaron Irwin - May 7th
  • Bernice (Smith) Douglass - February 15
  • CD Samler - January 19
  • Cal Freehling - November 29
  • Claudine (Wiley) Sterner - June 8, 1940
  • Dan Leinen - September 10
  • Dick Gregory - May 29, 1946
  • Elaine (Adams) Corkle - July 29
  • Eunice (Gregory) Richard - December 14, 1951
  • George Sharp - March 27
  • Glenda Smith - December 31
  • Janice Irwin - December 27th
  • Jerry R. Sampson - August 17
  • Joanie Henderson - January 2
  • Joann (Adams) Webster - March 5
  • Joie Brown - December 4
  • Joyce (Tucker) Lovenburg - Sep. 17
  • Karen (White) Lindell - June 13, 1946
  • Karen Harford - May 20
  • LaVern Smith - January 12
  • LaVeta (Smith) Blecha - January 12
  • LeNeta Carlock - May 7
  • LeeAnn Steinbeck January 30
  • Leone (Gregory) Carlson - January 27, 1943
  • Lloyd Douglass - March 18
  • Marlin Crouse - May 7
  • Mel Fisher - August 8, 1946
  • Paul Freehling - May 23
  • Sally Leinen - March 25
  • Sharna Richardson - January 15, 1959
  • Sherri Gregory - January 20, 1945
  • Stanley Carlock - December 12
  • Tim Steinbeck January 31

GOC Observers

  • Alice Gregory
  • Barbara (Dexter) Platon
  • Claudine (Wiley) Sterner
  • Dallas Adams
  • Dick Gregory
  • Don Harford
  • Evoi (Billy) Clark
  • Gail Harford
  • Gladys Freehling
  • Glen Childers
  • Hazel Daniels
  • Karen Harford
  • Leah (Gregory) Brewer
  • Leone (Gregory) Carlson
  • Lillian Mahon
  • Lillie White
  • Linda (Harford) Jones
  • Lloyd Douglass
  • Melba Harford
  • Myrna Oster
  • Posts about GOC
  • Ray Harford
  • Richard Gregory
  • Sam Clegg
  • Sherri Gregory
  • Veda Douglass
  • Virginia Harford

Flying Haiglerites

Haigler Twins

  • Haigler Twins
  • Laurene Rohn & Larry Crabtree
  • Marilyn and Gerrald Logan
  • Gail & Galena Roach
  • Kyle & Kaleb Greenwood
  • Ryan Jean & Lucas Walker Mildenberger
  • LuAnn Green Wall and LuRue Green Krutsinger
  • Edgar and Edna Williams - b. 1895
  • William & Stanley Palmer
  • Frank & Frances Tiff - (Shauer)
  • Fernando & Mahala Trembly - (McBride)
  • Donna and Dennis Workman
  • Marlene and Darlene Workman
  • Rodney and Ronney Workman
  • Rusty and Randy Flamig
  • Robert and Richard Ambrosek
  • Chase & Seth Barron (Grandsons of Delford Trembly)
  • Robert & Delbert Tucker (Alvie's)
  • Ali and Alvie Tucker
  • Albert and Elva Enfield
  • Natalie and Nicole Harford
  • Sharon & Shirley Williams
  • Lloyd and Floyd Smith
  • Jami and Joni Pevler
  • Stella and Zella (Altman) Wall
  • Janice & Julia Relph
  • Pearline and Pauline Freehling
  • Sharon Ruth and Sheila Louise Rose
  • LaVerne & Laveta Smith
  • LaVoine & LaVonne Smith
  • Elois & Elaine Adams
  • Dorothy & Donnie Brown
  • Carolyn and Marilyn Samson
  • Galena & Gail Collicott
  • Grand-daughters of Rae White
  • John "Keefe" and Kiara Grace Schorzman